Jamaat-e-Islami Hind conducts awareness & training program on Awqaf (endowments)

November 13, 2023

8 Nov, New Delhi: A two-day program was organized by the Department of Awqaf, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind to gain familiarity with the issues of Awqaf (endowments) and how to carry out related tasks in a better manner. The awareness cum training program was held at the JIH Headquarters, in New Delhi. About 25 officials from 13 states participated in this important meeting. In this program, important topics related to Waqf were discussed in detail, review reports were presented and discussions were held.

On this occasion, Syed Sadatullah Husaini, Ameer of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, delivered a keynote address in which he said “Waqf is an important institution of Islam. Usually, only its utilitarian aspect is looked at, but it is an important pillar of the economic concept of Islam and its Islamic system of economics. Wealthy people used to dedicate their wealth and property to fulfill a particular need of society. India has the largest number of endowment properties in the world. 70% to 80% of the total endowment is outside the control of the Waqf Board and the remaining 20% to 30% which is under the Waqf Board is also subject to mismanagement and corruption. Therefore, the protection of Waqf, and its revival is an important responsibility and obligation of the entire Muslim community. We need to make a very serious effort to fulfill that responsibility. The first thing is to create awareness about it, the second is monitoring the actions of the government, what is happening in the courts and the discourse going on in the media and the third task is to try to activate the State Waqf Boards”.

Dr. Muhammad Razi-ul-Islam Nadwi, while talking about the status of Waqf in the Shariah, said, “Waqf is a specific form of service to the people, which has been encouraged in the Qur’an and Hadith. In every era and region, Muslim rulers and the wealthy have dedicated huge properties towards Waqf. It is necessary to continue this noble work.”

Dr. Mohiuddin Ghazi said, “Dedicating one’s valuable property for good works is not a trivial thing, the true and deep passion of goodness is the motivation for it. It is necessary to protect and take care of the Waqf properties with the same spirit to which the property was dedicated. In this case, society will be able to benefit from the blessings of Waqf. The monitoring of Waqf is a great responsibility and its negligence would be a great betrayal of trust”.

Syed Mehmood Akhtar (Former Director, Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India), Dr. Zafar Mehmood (President, Zakat Foundation of India), Akram Al Jabar (Former Income Tax Commissioner, Maharashtra), Muhammad Afzalul Haq (Assistant Law Officer, Central Waqf) were present in the meeting. Council), Javed Ahmed (Waqf Welfare Forum), Haseeb Ahmed (Former Joint Secretary, Ministry of Education), Advocate Aslam Ahmed, Advocate Raees Ahmed and Intizar Naeem (Former Assistant Secretary, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind) also expressed their views.

Various speakers gave important insights on the current situation of Waqf in the country, protection of Waqf and its practical measures, Waqf laws, Waqf surveys, and guidance regarding the problems of Waqf and their solutions.

Secretary of Awqaf Department Mr. Abdul Rafiq and Assistant Secretary Mr. Inamur Rehman Khan successfully coordinated the program.

Spread the love

You May Also Like…