Twenty years have passed since the demolition of Babri Masjid, but leave alone conviction, the main culprits indicted by Liberhan Commission have not yet been charge-sheeted. This puts a big question mark before the impartiality of government, supremacy of constitution and rule of law in the country. These views were expressed by Dr. Syed Qasim Rasool Ilyas, Convenor, Babri Masjid Committee, All India Muslim Personal Law Board while giving weekly lecture on Saturday at the headquarters of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind.
Talking about the history of Babri Masjid, Dr. Ilyas said there was no dispute over the mosque before 1949. Muslims had been offering prayers in the mosque for last 400 years. One night in 1949, some anti-social elements, in a planned manner, installed some idols inside the mosque and spread rumor about revelation of Ram. In the FIR lodged after the incident, the mosque was accepted as the property of Muslims and those who put idols were described as anti-social elements. But later the government and judiciary connived and the mosque was taken away from Muslims and Hindus were allowed to do Hindu rituals in the mosque.
Dr. Ilyas also gave details about title suit now pending in the Supreme Court and demolition cases being heard in Lucknow and Rae Bareily courts. He informed that Muslim Personal Law Board is now fighting the case in Supreme Court.
Anchoring the program, Mr. Mohammad Salim Engineer, National Secretary, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind said what happened on 6th Dec. 1992 was not mere demolition of a mosque, it was in fact part of a larger conspiracy to terrorize and suppress Muslims and create an atmosphere of communal hatred, disharmony and chasm. He said the conspirators will never succeed in their design as neither Muslims can be suppressed for long, nor can entire Indian society be communalized and polarized.
Mr Nusrat Ali, General Secretary, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind presided over the program.